Looking for an easy side dish?
I first saw the recipe for Roasted Cabbage Wedges at http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges and knew they would be easy to make.
The original recipe called for carraway or fennel seeds (I’m a SIMPLE cook, so you’ll find I don’t have a lot of ingredients like that), plus it didn’t include any garlic or additional seasonings other than Salt and Pepper. I made a few tweaks and we really liked it. Easy and fits our way of eating. WIN!
One medium sized cabbage
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or oil of your choice)
Minced Onion (or any other seasonings/items you like)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Take a TB or so of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and spread it onto a 9 x 13 pan.
3. Take a medium sized head of cabbage and slice it into rounds about 1 inch thick. Most of mine were closer to .75″ or so.
4. Lay your cabbage ‘steaks’ onto your greased 9 x 13 pan
5. Pour some Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the cabbage and rub it in good. Don’t put too much, but make sure it’s got a nice thin layer over the top.
6. Shake on your seasonings as heavy or as light as you would like.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for around 35 minutes.
As you can tell, my smaller steaks got a bit burnt. Believe it or not, the one that was the most burnt was my husband’s favorite one. I would think that the more uniform you get your cabbage steaks sliced, the more evenly they will cook.